SCOTSCRAIG BOWLING CLUB
Scotscraig bowling club is situated in Dougall Street in Tayport.
Scotscraig Bowling Club: A Trip Down Memory Lane
The bowling green was originally opened in 1924 built on War Graves Commission ground at the rear of the War Memorial, although we have been unable to trace any minutes or records from that time. The make up and membership of the club at that time is also unknown, however, we do still have a couple of trophies which were played for in the early years. The Black trophy was presented in 1926 and the Tough trophy was presented in 1929.
The Tough trophy was first won by the rink of W Norrie, J Pearson, R Wedderspoon and skip J Laidlaw. The original shield was played for until 1974 and interestingly, the same W Norrie featured in the winning team that year too, this time accompanied by G Welsh, G Ewart and M Fitchet (jnr). This competition is still played for to this day although for a newer shield. Some of the other older trophies unfortunately are no longer available due to an unfortunate mishap one year at the trophy shop!
Internal club competitions were played for in the early days and despite transport difficulties there were also friendlies organised with clubs in the area. The transport being provided by trains and ferries, originally from Tayport to Broughty Ferry then the “Fifies” or trains to Dundee. With no written record for this era being found and only a few founder members still with us these recollections have been given in the main by their families.
The original pavilion was a wooden structure with running water, but no electric lights, the lighting being provided by gas. The pavilion remained pretty much the same for nearly 50 years and run by the then Tayport Town Council.
In the early seventies members discussed trying to take more control of the club and the committee organised this during various meetings with the council and in 1974 the green and pavilion were rented from the Council. With a grant of £3000 from the local Gregory Trust and club fundraising an extension was planned and built.
Over the next 15 years or so a number of further building alterations were made which resulted in the current shape and facilities we still enjoy.
From the mid seventies the Club took over the responsibility of looking after the bowling green and a former Council employee, George Walker took on the role of greenkeeper and with the assistance of other members did a good job of keeping the green and surrounds looking good. The club was one of the first in the area to install an automatic watering system, then artificial bankings around the green. After a somewhat heated and lengthy journey through the planning process we also installed floodlights in 1989.
We have been members of the Scottish Bowling Association, Fife Bowling Association, North of Fife Bowling Association and were founder members of the Tayside League with Wormit and Newport bowling clubs. This league still continues now with 12 teams competing.
During the 90’s it was agreed that all members should pay the same level of fees and other than junior members this still is the case today.
And we now have a fully integrated committee and in 2009 Susan McIntosh became the first lady to be President of the Club. Some years ago it was agreed to introduce a “social membership fee” which allows non-bowlers to come along to the Club and enjoy the games and support our fundraising activities
The Club has enjoyed a few playing successes mainly in the North of Fife and Tayside league competitions having won the pairs, triples and fours on a number of occasions. Our men’s rink won the Fife competition in 1995 and we have won the “Fife and Edinburgh” Black trophy. Successes in the Scottish competitions have also been limited although in the junior event Graham Ewart qualified in the early 80’s, followed a few years later by Fred McRitchie who reached the final in the same event. We have also had 2 triples qualify for the final stages with Tom Bryson, Andy Lowe and Jim Moffat, then more recently Robert Wylie, Charles McDonald and Graham Ewart.
Since the early 90’s we have run a floodlight league from August until the end of the season. In recent years the numbers taking part has increased and we now run a ladies league on Monday nights with 12 teams taking part in 2 leagues and a men’s league on Friday nights with 24 teams playing in 4 sections and in 2 sessions. Both competitions are completed in 6 weeks and provide good entertainment at the end of the season for players and spectators alike.
13 April 2019
The opening of the green will be on Saturday the 13 April 2019.
Bowling green is usually open from lunchtime daily during the bowling season (from mid April until end of September). The green is open to members and general public for play and bowls, mats etc. are available for use, all you need to bring are smooth soled shoes. Cost is £2 per player per game for visitors. Social bowling is usually on each Wednesday from 6.45pm and is a good opportunity to meet some of the members and coaching is available to all. Club membership is also available and application forms are on main notice board in the Club. Licensed bar is also available. See Club for opening times.
13 Aril 2019
This space is to provide more details about your upcoming events or competition, such as where it’s located, when it begins and ends, and who it’s geared towards.
PRO AM DAY
28 April 2019
This is your Day! We have our annual Pro Am day to encourage existing members to bring a non playing friend along to compete in a friendly competition. A pairs competition is a fun way to try bowls and learn a new sport.